Monday, October 4, 2010

Connecticut River Ferry at Rocky Hill

When I'm driving back from New York to New Hampshire, if I have enough time, I like to get off Interstate 91 and take the Connecticut River ferry from Rocky Hill to Glastonbury. Ferries are fun, and this is one of the smallest I've seen. The other small ferry I remember is the cable ferry crossing the Missouri River in Montana: the Virgelle Ferry. The Connecticut River ferry itself is an unpowered barge.  A small tugboat maneuvers the barge in a wide sweep across the river:

Rocky Hill, Connecticut, September 2010. Photo by Ed Bacher

As always, you can click the pictures to see a larger image.

This ferry carries three cars, or two cars and about 20 cyclists:
Rocky Hill, Connecticut, September 2010. Photo by Ed Bacher

There's also a great hot dog and hamburger stand on the Rocky Hill side, so if you have to wait, you can have a snack and watch the ferry come and go.

Update: I discovered a wonderful photograph of the Virgelle Ferry (mentioned above).

No comments: